konstantinapapazoglou

Tales Designed to Thrizzle, Vol. 1
Michael Kupperman
Mansfield Park
Jane Austen
Batman: Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader? - Neil Gaiman, Scott A. Williams, Mark Buckingham, Andy Kubert

Read full review at: http://thereadingarmchair.blogspot.gr/2015/08/review-whatever-happened-to-caped.html

Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader? This is the question that this two-part comic is trying to answer. The very end of Batman. The title, as Neil Gaiman explains in the foreword, is a pun to Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?, which is the conclusion to the mythology of Superman. It feels appropriate and suits perfectly the feel of the story.

The plot is quite simple. Batman is dead and all of the characters, Albert, Joker, Riddler, Catwoman, attend his funeral. Each of them offers a different version of Batman's story and death. This way, this comic can work as the final Batman story in any given occasion. But the last few pages left me in awe. Both the art and the conclusion of the story were excellent.

I know that it's a common thing in comics for the heroes to die and then return again with a way or another. This version though felt different. Batman kept trying to fight crime in Gotham and his own demons, but he always ended up getting killed. It was the natural ending we all expected, despite the futility. Batman fell while fighting and it felt right. Besides every mythology needs some closure and we are offered one here.

Source: http://thereadingarmchair.blogspot.gr/2015/08/review-whatever-happened-to-caped.html