konstantinapapazoglou

Michael Kupperman
Mansfield Park
Jane Austen
Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Vol. 01 - Magica Quartet, Hanokage

It's not a secret that Puella Magi Madoka Magica is a deconstruction of the magical girl genre. Indeed it's nothing like you would expect it to be. Contrarily this is a manga that not only isn't targeted to a young female audience, but also feels very mature, almost heavy at times. /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Madoka Kaname and her friend Sayaka Miki are approached by a magical creature, Kyubey, who urges them to become magical girls. In exchange they will have one wish, whatever that is, granted. But the mysterious transfer student Homura Akemi tries to stop them from making a contract with Kyubey. So, in order to help them a veteran magical girl, Mami Tomoe, takes Madoka and Sayaka with her to watch whan their responsibilities will be. When things start to go wrong another magical girl appears, Kyouko Sakura and things get really complicated, while the truth is slowly revealed. /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

The story starts off really nicely, but the pace picks constantly up. In that way, things go forward quickly but luckily never rushed. In the beginning there isn't any indication as to what this story is all about, just some girls that thinking about becoming magical girls.  But, it becomes quickly obvious that this is a perilous job and sadness is part of the deal. For what wish would anyone be willing to risk losing everthing they have and everyone they love? By the time the final chapter is finished so much has happened that it's sure that no-one will remain unaffected. /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

The characters in Puella Magi Madoka Magica are all well developed. Each of the five magical girls has its own personality and the way she sees the world. Madoka is a sweet girl, the perfect child, as her mother declares, Sayaka tries to fight for justice, Mami is similar but feels terribly alone, Homura is distant and tries to protect Madoka no matter what and Kyouko seems to care for nothing else than herself. There is also a significant difference on what each of them wished, and each wish has brought equal amount of pain to all of them. Kyubey at the beginning is a cute creature that the girls are consulting, but by the end the hatred towards it is just too much. Indeed, from the second volume and onward I just couldn't stand it! If I could, I would be violent against it, so much hatred! /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

The illustration is absolutely amazing! These two pages are just a small part of the manga, but you can see how unique it is. All the characters are slightly different from their anime version, but what I really liked is the change in Kyubey's design after we begin to hate him. The witches, the creatures that magical girls have to kill, are very stylish, some of them are even cute. The only thing that I missed from the anime version is the change of atmospere in the mazes, the places where witches live, they are some of the best visual scenes I've ever come across. Oh, and the music! /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Puella Magi Madoka Magica didn't disappoint me at all! To be completely honest, I made a significant effort not to sound like a fangirl in the review. But I can't help it, it's amazing! During the third volume I didn't stop crying and at the end I was saying only one thing "It's such a good story". I would recommend it to everyone without any exception. It's only three volumes and if you need a specific reason to read it chapter 10 is one of them. /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Full review at http://thereadingarmchair.blogspot.gr/2015/05/review-puella-magi-madoka-magica-by.html